There are many different types of visas you may use to come into the United States. Each visa has specific uses. You should understand what they are so you apply for the correct one before your trip to Illinois. One of the options and a common choice is a visitor visa.

According to the U.S. Department of State, a visitor visa is for you if you are not a citizen of the U.S. and you want to visit here for pleasure or business. There are two specific options, a B-1 or a B-2.

A B-1 visitor visa is for business. This allows you to enter the country to conduct different business matters. For example, you could use it to attend a conference or meet with investors. You may also use it to come to the country to conduct other business, such as settling an estate.

A B-2 visa is for pleasure. You would use this if you were coming to the U.S. for vacation or to visit family. It also works if you come here seeking medical treatment or if you want to participate in amateur, unpaid sports or artistic events.

To get this type of visa, you have to file documentation and complete an application. You also need to pay any applicable fees. You will also have to do an interview if you are between the ages of 14 and 79.

Do keep in mind a visa just grants you permission to seek entry into the country. It does not guarantee you may enter the country. This information is for education and is not legal advice.