Francis Law Center Francis Law Center
When Your Success Depends On Effective Immigration Services

Family Immigration Archives

Trump voids Temporary Protected Status for Salvadoran immigrants

While many immigrants enter the U.S., every year seeking new opportunities, improved quality of life and shelter from dangerous exposure in their homeland, achieving citizenship is not for the weary. Acquiring citizenship status in the United States and Illinois requires time, effort and commitment to carefully following all designated protocols for approval. Recent changes to several laws under President Trump's administration has complicated this process for those seeking to make a living on U.S. soil. 

Preparing yourself for a successful citizenship interview

If you have recently immigrated and are slowly acclimating to your new home, you may be well aware that the adjustment process requires time, patience and determination. Over time, you will become accustomed to the changes in your environment and the anticipation of completing your citizenship test will give you something new to look forward to. At Francis Law Center, we are experienced in helping Illinois residents to work toward achieving citizenship status and taking the next step into their exciting future. 

Common visa interview mistakes

If you or someone you love is trying to obtain a visa so that you, he or she can move to Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, you may have questions about the visa interview process, and what it entails. At Francis Law Center, we have helped many immigrants and their families navigate the visa interview, and we have a firm understanding of common errors many people make that can hinder their chances of lawfully staying in the United States.

A closer look at the purpose and function of a visitor visa

Each year, the United States is the destination for thousands of immigrants seeking new opportunities, better quality of life and an escape from the turmoil they may have experienced in their homeland. While immigration, naturalization and acquiring citizenship may appear overwhelming at first thought, there are options for people seeking potential citizenship that allow temporary opportunity leading up to full citizenship in Illinois. 

How much can attorney representation help immigrant’s cases?

If you are an immigrant with a pending case and you currently live in Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, you may be wondering how much having an immigration attorney represent you can help you. Unlike in the traditional judicial system, those who go through immigration court do not automatically have a right to counsel. Therefore, many immigrants have few choices other than to place their faith in legal aid clinics, or in the hands of those offering pro bono representation.

Can you excel in business as an immigrant?

No matter where you have come from, being an immigrant in a new country has a unique list of challenges and risks. However, what you may not currently realize is how your experience as an immigrant can play to your advantage in the colorful world of business in Illinois. Fortunately, your experiences and the unique cultural background you have can provide you with needed competencies that other workers may not have. 

Provisional unlawful presence waiver eligibility requirements

If you obtained a visa to travel to Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the country and stayed past the date your visa expired, you will begin to accrue unlawful presence in the United States. Essentially, this means that you will not be able to lawfully return to the country for a predetermined amount of time that varies based on how long past your visa’s expiration date you remained in the country. If you meet certain criteria, however, you may be able to obtain a Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver to reenter the United States. At the Francis Law Center, we have a firm understanding of the eligibility requirements associated with this type of waiver, and we have assisted many clients navigate their paths to permanent citizenship.

What is a visitor visa, and how can you get one?

If you or someone you know is foreign-born and interested in traveling to Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, you may be wondering whether you may do so with a visitor visa. A visitor visa may fit your needs if you are planning to stay in the country on a temporary basis, and if you are traveling to the United States for business, pleasure, tourism or visiting others.

How can you bring your foreign fiancé or spouse to the U.S.?

If you are a legal U.S. citizen living in Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, a time may come when you want to bring your foreign fiancé or spouse stateside to come live with you. The process involved in doing so varies based on several factors, among them whether the person you are looking to bring to the U.S. is, in fact, your fiancé, or your spouse.

4 possible congressional responses to DACA

Now that the current presidential administration has voted to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, many immigrants like you across Illinois, Wisconsin and the rest of the United States are wondering what lies ahead. At the Francis Law Center, we closely follow developments relating to DACA, and we have helped many clients looking to come to the United States for personal, professional and educational reasons.


Schaumburg Office
1320 Tower Road, Suite 147
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Map & Directions

Madison Office
14 W. Mifflin Street
Suite 206-7
Madison, WI 53703

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Map & Directions

Milwaukee Office
250 E. Wisconsin Avenue
Suite 1800
Milwaukee, WI 53202

Map & Directions