If you have a status change, there is incorrect information or you lose your green card, then you will need to replace it. It is essential that your green card documentation has accurate information and conforms to the law. In addition, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services explains that you may have an old version of the green card that is no longer valid, which means you need to replace it to avoid issues.

The process to replace your green card is fairly simple and starts with filing Form I-90. This is the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

Filing your application

You may file your Form I-90 online, which will provide you with additional benefits. You can apply quickly and easily without the need for postage. You also can get regular updates on your case and communicate with immigration services directly. The USCIS will also alert you when it receives your application.

After filing

After you file online, you can log into the online system to check the status and see any messages that may be part of your file. You can also send messages to the USCIS or you may communicate with the agency on the phone. You do need to wait at least 72 hours after you apply to get information about your application.

Approval or denial

If the USCIS approves your application, you will get your new card by mail. If it denies your application, you may submit a request for a reconsideration or to reopen your case. Reconsideration is an option if you feel there is an immigration law issue or there was incorrect information in your application. A reopen request is if you have new information you wish to provide.