Francis Law Center Francis Law Center
When Your Success Depends On Effective Immigration Services

Family-based immigration: who has priority?

If you are a U.S. citizen either by naturalization or permanent residency, you have the right to petition for family members from out of the country to join you here in the United States. Those family members do not need to wait in line for a visa but rather, get priority for green card status. If you live in Illinois and wish to petition for a family member, you should first know for which family members you can petition before you begin the process.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Program, there are several relatives for which you can petition to live in the United States. For whom you petition effects the immigration status the U.S. grants him or her.

If you petition for a spouse, any unmarried children below the age of 21, parents, siblings, or married sons or daughters 21 years of age or older, you can help them earn the immigration benefit of a green card. If you petition on behalf of a fiancé who resides out of country, you can help him or her obtain a fiancé visa. You can do the same for any children of your fiancé who are under the age of 21. 

You may also petition for a spouse who resides out of country and any children of your spouse who are under the age of 21 and who are not yet married. These individuals would be able to enter the U.S. on K-3/K-4 visa status.

This post is for purely educational purposes. It should not be used as legal advice. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Schaumburg Office
1320 Tower Road, Suite 147
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Schaumburg Law Office Map

Madison Office
14 W. Mifflin Street
Suite 206-7
Madison, WI 53703

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Madison Law Office Map

Chicago Office
605 N. Michigan Avenue
4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60611

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Chicago Law Office Map

Review Us