If you are a legal U.S. citizen living in Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, a time may come when you want to bring your foreign fiancé or spouse stateside to come live with you. The process involved in doing so varies based on several factors, among them whether the person you are looking to bring to the U.S. is, in fact, your fiancé, or your spouse.

If you and your foreign partner have already married, then the U.S. Department of State reports that you have two options when it comes to helping him or her immigrate to the country. You can pursue an immigrant visa for a spouse of a U.S. citizen, in which case you need to fill out what is known as an immigrant Petition for Alien Relative.

If, however, the person you are looking to bring to the country is your fiancé and not your spouse, but you plan on marrying in the United States, you may be able to do so by obtaining a nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé, which is also known as a K-1 visa. This involves securing what is known as an I-129F fiancé petition, and you and your foreign-born partner must marry within 90 days of his or her arrival in the country.

While this information provides a general overview of how you might be able to bring your foreign-born partner to the United States, it is not a replacement for personal legal advice.