Francis Law Center Francis Law Center
When Your Success Depends On Effective Immigration Services

How can you bring your foreign fiancé or spouse to the U.S.?

If you are a legal U.S. citizen living in Illinois, Wisconsin or another part of the United States, a time may come when you want to bring your foreign fiancé or spouse stateside to come live with you. The process involved in doing so varies based on several factors, among them whether the person you are looking to bring to the U.S. is, in fact, your fiancé, or your spouse.

If you and your foreign partner have already married, then the U.S. Department of State reports that you have two options when it comes to helping him or her immigrate to the country. You can pursue an immigrant visa for a spouse of a U.S. citizen, in which case you need to fill out what is known as an immigrant Petition for Alien Relative.

Another option is to pursue a nonimmigrant visa for a spouse, which differs from the first option in that you must file the application and secure the visa directly from the nation where the two of you were married. Once the country where you married issues the visa, you and your partner may be able to return to the United States until the processing of your case becomes final.

If, however, the person you are looking to bring to the country is your fiancé, and not your spouse, but you plan on marrying in the United States, you may be able to do so by obtaining a nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé, which is also known as a K-1 visa. This involves securing what is known as a I-129F fiancé petition, and you and your foreign-born partner must marry within 90 days of his or her arrival in the country.

While this information provides a general overview of how you might be able to bring your foreign-born partner to the United States, it is not a replacement for personal legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Schaumburg Office
1320 Tower Road, Suite 147
Schaumburg, IL 60173

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Schaumburg Law Office Map

Madison Office
14 W. Mifflin Street
Suite 206-7
Madison, WI 53703

Toll Free: 877-312-0956
Fax: 847-306-3942
Madison Law Office Map

Milwaukee Office
250 E. Wisconsin Avenue
Suite 1800
Milwaukee, WI 53202

Milwaukee Law Office Map